Have I mentioned before that I’m a bit impulsive? This little creation of mine is proof of that. A couple days ago I was sitting at home on my laptop being a drone after David had gone to bed. After taking a pause from what I was doing, I suddenly became fed up with the fact that I haven’t done anything creative recently. I needed to do something. Make something. So I scoured the kitchen to see what I had on hand and this is what I came up with…
Given that this was created on impulse around 9:30 at night and was all but devoured by 12 am (yes, the same night), I never got the chance to get those pretty natural-lighting photos. So bear with the photos and let them be proof that if you make this, it won’t last long.
- 3 medium sized apples, diced (leave the skin for wonderful apple flavor)
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400º
- In a quart sized pot, combine diced apples, raisins, butter, honey, and cinnamon.
- Heat on a medium low heat stirring frequently for 10-13 minutes until apples soften.
- Roll out pie crust on a lightly floured surface into a long oval shape.
- Transfer crust to baking sheet
- Once apple mixture is ready, spoon it down the center of the crust (keeping plenty of room on the sides to cut strands for the braid).
- With a knife, cut strands starting a half inch away from the mixture out towards the edges of the crust. The strands should be slightly diagonal.
- Once strands are cut, begin folding them towards the center. Each new fold should come from the opposite side (ie. fold left, fold right, fold left).
- Place the braid in the oven and let cook for 25 minutes or until edges of crust begin to brown.
- Serve immediately.
This pastry came out beautifully and was so easy to make. Would have even been easier if I had some pie crust frozen and ready (which I highly recommend doing!). But the crust was a quick make as well.
One reason why I love this so much is that it is refined sugar free! How great it that?! You can walk away from the beautiful pastry feeling guilt free 🙂